Does anyone hate burping their babies as much as I do? I just find it so annoying to have to sit and pat their back after I have already spent 30 minutes feeding the child!
I THOUGHT it was something that MUST be done after every feeding, however, come to find out, that is not the case, hallelujah!
I get emails from a site called pregnancy weekly, and they update me every week on things I should know. Now that my child is born, they give me useful information for the baby, rather than myself.
Yesterdays email made me so happy, because it was about burping, and these were a few things that were said (of course, everyone still has their opinions, but I now agree with this site.)
BURPING IS OPTIONAL- however it does reduce air bubbles
ONE MINUTE of patting is sufficient
EXCESSIVE BURPING ATTEMPTS may cause baby to spit up for frequently
most babies will LET YOU KNOW when they need to burp
COUNTERPRODUCTIVE TO INTERRUPT a feeding just to burp
This may be boring information to most of you, however, I thought it was very interesting, and I don't care what other moms have to say about this matter, I like this method, and I'm sticking to it! That doesn't mean I won't burp, but really, he burps well on his own, and the one-minute idea is my favorite part of it, yeah!







5 comments:
Joy, my pediatrician told me that after I had James...why couldn't he have mentioned it to me when I had Connor?! I agree with the method too :)
I completely agree with you! I hate burping my babies. They never do and never get bothered by it so I will stick with you on this one. Plus, Teagan does seem to spit up more if I do try. I say, keep the food down! Feeding sure does take long enough.
That is great information to know. When I'm babysitting I feel sorry for the poor baby when I have to interrupt their feeding to burb them. I know they don't understand.
The one minute idea is a good thing to know too - sometimes it seems like it takes forever and then they get upset because they want to be fed more.
Nancy
I know I already commented on this post, but I wanted to post again.
I was babysitting for an 8 month old last night and I remembered your post. I did try and burb her but did the 1 minute rule and then gave her the rest of the bottle. She burped when she was ready and was fine. She seemed happy I didn't stop her feeding for a long time either.
Although later in the evening when she was so tired and wouldn't fall asleep for an hour - I wondered how all you Mothers do it -as nothing was making her happy she fussed and cried and I tried everything. I knew she was just tired and was fighting to fall asleep but I felt so bad I couldn't do anything. She did fall asleep though.
Nancy
Oh man this just brought back memories. I totally thought that - in fact, I was so happy when they were old enough to stop being burped. That is good info; I'll remember that:)
Post a Comment